Review of work in 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Rendering advice on international trade law, privileges and immunities, civil aviation and maritime matters, international labour conventions, human rights, environment and health, visa abolition and outer space;
- Rendering advice on drafting and interpretation of customs, police, cultural and education co-operative agreements and arrangements; and
- Advising on the enactment of legislation to implement international instruments and agreements in the HKSAR including United Nations Security Council Resolutions, and agreements on maritime matters, conservation, surrender of fugitive offenders (SFO) and mutual legal assistance (MLA) in criminal matters.
- Negotiating agreements on behalf of the HKSAR on SFO, MLA, transfer of sentenced persons (TSP) matters; and
- Providing legal support in other bilateral negotiations such as agreements on air services, avoidance of double taxation, customs co-operation, investment promotion and protection, free trade and visa abolition.
Multilateral agreements and international conferences
- Participating in international meetings and diplomatic conferences held by international organisations.
Legal co-operation with other jurisdictions
- Acting as the Central Authority of the HKSAR on SFO and MLA matters, advising on and processing SFO and MLA requests;
- Advising on and processing letters of requests from overseas courts or tribunals pursuant to the Evidence Ordinance (Cap 8);
- Acting as the Central Authority of the HKSAR under the Hague Convention of the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, advising on and processing requests made under the Convention; and
- Advising the Security Bureau on TSP applications.
- Providing legal support to the Financial Secretary and the Secretary for Security in relation to the HKSAR’s participation in the Financial Action Task Force Against Money Laundering (FATF), attending international meetings of FATF, participating in expert working groups and acting as expert legal assessors in mutual evaluations of fellow members’ implementation of FATF recommendations on measures to combat money laundering and terrorist financing; and
- Serving as speakers and participating in regional and international seminars organised by other governments and international organisations such as the Hague Conference on Private International Law; conducting briefings for local and overseas law enforcement agencies on international legal co-operation matters; delivering papers in the field of international co-operation in criminal matters such as asset recovery and other forms of MLA.