It is the policy initiative of the Department of Justice (DoJ) to nurture legal talents through continuous provision of training opportunities including secondment arrangements with international organisations. Through participating in the work of such organisations, local legal talent will expand their knowledge of the operation of international organisations, broaden their horizons through learning from international law experts, and inject a Hong Kong perspective in shaping the development of international law.
In line with the above policy initiative, a standing arrangement has recently been put in place with the HCCH for seconding Hong Kong legal professionals in both the public and private sectors to the Permanent Bureau of the HCCH at The Hague, the Netherlands. This arrangement has been made pursuant to an agreement concluded between the Central People’s Government and the HCCH, and a memorandum of understanding signed between the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSARG) and the HCCH on 22 December 2020.
For details concerning the secondment programme with the HCCH, please click here.
Any legal professional who is eligible and interested in participating in the secondment programme at the HCCH should complete the Application Form* and submit it together with the required information to the International Law Division, Department of Justice, 7/F, Main Wing, Justice Place, 18 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong by 18 February 2021 (Thursday).
For enquiries, please contact the Department’s International Law Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We shall continue to explore and discuss with other international organisations for secondment opportunities to Hong Kong legal professionals in both the public and private sectors. Updated information on other arrangements will be available at this webpage in due course.
- Website of the HCCH
- Press release on the signing ceremony of the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the HKSARG and the HCCH (HCCH signing ceremony)
- SJ’s speech at the HCCH signing ceremony
- Video on the HCCH signing ceremony
- PowerPoint Slides for the briefing given by Ms. Linda Lam, Law Officer (International Law)(Acting), on the secondment programme to the HCCH at the online information session on 8 February 2021
- PowerPoint Slides for the briefing given by Professor Zhao Yun, Representative of the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific of the HCCH on the work of the HCCH at the online information session on 8 February 2021
* For legal officers in the Government, please contact your Departmental Secretary for application.